Fresh cranberries are a versatile fruit that offer big health benefits in a little package, like unique polyphenols not commonly found in other fruits. A serving of fresh cranberries provides vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidant polyphenols and contains only 1 mg of sodium. Cranberries are easy and convenient to use in any form, making them a perfect fit for sweet and savory meals and recipes. Enjoy them in recipes like smoothies, baked goods, sautéed vegetables or as a relish or sauce!
Check out this recipe for Lemon Ricotta Parfaits with Cranberry Compote. A perfect way to finish off a holiday meal–with superfoods!
Click the link below to print this and several more Cranberry inspired recipes!
Lemon Ricotta Parfaits with Cranberry Compote
Yield: 4 parfaits
½ cup cranberries (fresh or frozen)
¼ cup sugar
¼ each orange
¼ each lemon
4 ¼ oz. ricotta cheese, part-skim
1 ¼ tsp. sugar
¼ cup whipped topping
1. Grate zest from lemons and set aside. Cut half of the lemon and squeeze the juice from lemon into a saucepan.
2. Peel orange, add peel to pan and squeeze in juice from orange.
3. Add cranberries and sugar, and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring until sugar has dissolved. Cook until cranberries are soft, about 15 minutes. Let cool and refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Combine ricotta with remaining sugar and lemon zest.
5. Remove orange peel from cranberry compote, and discard. Set aside a few cranberries for garnish.
6. In mini cups or martini glasses place: 2 tbsp lemon ricotta, 2 tbsp cranberry compote, 2 tbsp lemon ricotta, 1 tbsp whipped topping and garnish with 1-2 cranberries.
*These are great mini desserts to serve at dinner parties!